Traveling in (Haphazard) Style

My husband Tim and I were able to go on a trip to Ireland and Scotland back in April with a large group, mostly consisting of his colleagues and their wives. I found packing to be tricky since the forecast was mostly in the 40s, there were dress codes for the dinners (business casual, business attire etc), and we'd also be out walking and doing touristy things during the day. Also, I am not a capsule packer!
Looking back, I would have added a few more dressy pieces and a couple more (dressy) pairs of shoes. I'm glad I gave it a try to mix and match clothes, but I think I would have felt more comfortable and more myself if I had outfits for the dinners that weren't so "make do".

For pants I brought two pairs of jeans- dark wash and black, black skinny dress pants, and a pair of cropped olive colored chinos. The chinos I kind of regretted because they were boyfriend (baggier) fit and didn't look great with the shoes or nice tops I brought! They warranted something more fitted on top, instead of my looser options.
For tops I brought an assortment of long sleeved mostly striped tops, sweaters, and two blouses (chambray & white with eyelet).

Here are some of my daytime outfits:
I'm not 100% in love the with Irish Knit sweater (middle), mostly because I feel washed out when I wear it, but it was incredibly warm! The sweatshirt on the right is from Everlane and I am quite happy with it. Also, I've had these trusty booties for over a year and give them a hearty two thumbs up.

This is what I wore on the plane ride over:
 The sweater is like wearing a blanket, and these Adidas sneaks were so comfortable and warm for all the walking we did. 

Now for some of my dinner outfits:

Prom Pose
 I bought the dress on the left with the flowers just before this trip, as I wanted something with sleeves that would pack well.
I had a white eyelet blouse that I didn't manage to get a photo of; that was pretty much one of my only dressy tops- an oversight on my part. On repeat but I would definitely pack more dressy items if I had to do this again!


Comments

Popular Posts