As Eleanor Roosevelt Says...

A few months ago I finished Eleanor Roosevelt's book "You Learn by Living: Eleven Keys for a More Fulfilling Life". While reading it I almost stopped in my tracks when in one chapter she referenced personal style! She was talking about the importance of satisfying oneself instead of trying to please others. She writes:
"I am always delighted when I see people who express their own personalities in the way that is right for them. In clothes, for instance. Most people anxiously follow current styles, whether or not they suit the individual or his needs."
She continues by looking to the great harpsichordist, Wanda Landowska: 
"She had found a mode of dress that suited her, long flowing dresses and velvet ballet slippers. Whether at home or on the concert stage she stuck to her chosen form of dressing. She didn't look odd. She looked like Landowska. How many of us, I wonder, dare to look like ourselves?"
Wow- definitely food for thought! 
The part about "suiting ones needs" really rings true as a mom of littles. A handful of years ago blazers were popping up everywhere in the blog world and I kept trying to make them work for me, as I liked how they looked. Well, I finally came to the conclusion that they were super restricting and just did not work for me. Off to the donation bag they went. Ha! Took a while but I'm glad I was able to think practically about my wardrobe. 
Also, in regards to that last quote, I have to admit I still struggle at times comparing my outfit choices to those around me, particularly at social events! I want to be more comfortable looking like myself. 

top: Piper and Scoot | necklace: thrifted | skirt & sandals: J. Crew factory
 This was what I wore to mass on Sunday. The wooden necklace I found last summer when my husband offered me a day "off". I wanted to visit the vendor section of a big homeschooling convention that was happening about an hour away, so I Googled what thrift stores were nearby and made a day of it! It was a lot of fun and very therapeutic. :)

Comments

  1. Thanks for sharing Eleanor Rosevelt's quote! I have always liked your style (that's why we have been friends for awhile!) Mom style can be beautiful and trendy and classy all at once! It's definitely the "wearer" too. If one is comfortable in one's clothes, then the beauty from within shows externally!
    I have learned by trial and error that some things I want to work for me just do not work. :( I have given up on my dress pants situation. I have gained and lost and gained and lost weight at this stage of my life. So I gladly welcomed dress/tunics and leggings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree- it makes such a difference to be comfortable (literally and figuratively) in what you're wearing! And I've had a lot of trial and error with clothes too, and have such difficulty now with dress pants (although I've tried so many on!). I have one corduroy pair that I bought right after Evie was born that somehow fits me but they are way too long and getting worn in the knees, so probably not worth getting hemmed. :(

      Delete
  2. "How many of us, I wonder, dare to look like ourselves?" Oh man, that's good. I need to think about that one a bit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! Something I need to continually keep in mind.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts